Male student in residence hall room

Break Housing

Closedown/Break Periods

The University has three official academic year break periods: fall break, the break between the fall and spring semesters, and spring break. During these break periods, residence buildings close and all residents are required to leave for the entire period. Personal belongings may be left in the room during the break periods. Please refer to Important Dates page to view the actual dates for each break.

Break Access/Holiday Housing:

To accommodate students who are unable to travel home during these time periods or who need to stay on campus during the closedown periods, Housing offers a Break Access HFS Contract that includes fall and spring breaks. The Break Access HFS Contract does not include access during the break between fall and spring semesters.

Students who select Break Access will be assigned to the area/hall designated for break housing. Students with a Break Access HFS Contract will not be required to leave the residence hall during fall and spring breaks. During these two break periods, staff will be available in the building to assist with emergencies. Meals are not provided in the Break Access contract, though Campus Dining may offer limited service times during which students can use their meal plans. Students assigned to Break Access will be charged an additional fee for this service. No refunds are processed if a student does not stay for all or any part of the closedown periods. The Break Access HFS Contract cannot be canceled, though if not enough students participate, it may be converted to a regular HFS Contract and the additional fee refunded.

Break Access/Holiday Housing can be requested either by selecting the option as a preference on the HFS Contract or by contacting the Housing and Food Services Office.